1. We finally managed to _____ the committee's approval of our plans.
A. secure B. arouse C. acquire D. exert
[答案] A. secure.
[注釋] secure 與 acquire 鈞有“得到”的含義，但 secure vt. 此處的意思是(=succeed in getting sth. for which there is a great demand)“獲得(所需之物)”.
The boy has acquire a fire knowledge of geography.(這男孩已得到一點地理知識。)可見，根據題意應選secure.
2. I have such a bad cold that I have lost all _____ of smell.
A. degree B. sense C. strength D. scent
[答案] B. sense.
[注釋] sense 意為“(五官的)感覺”，如：
People have five senses: sight,hearing,smell,taste and touch. scent 氣味，香味。
3. She is so _____ that she cried for days when her pet rabbit died.
A. sensitive B. sensible C. imaginative D.impressive
[答案] A. sensitive
4. The lorry driver was badly _____ when his lorry crashed into a wall.
A. damaged B. hit C. hurt D. harmed
[答案] C. hurt
[注釋] damage損壞；harm對.....有害；hurt(精神上或肉體上)傷害； hit打擊; pain(精神上或肉體上)痛苦。
5. I caught a _____ of the car before it disappeared around the bend.
A. glance B. glimpse C. glare D. gleam
[答案] B. glimpse
[注釋] catch (or get) a glimpse of瞥見(強調行為的結果)。
take a glance (or look) at看一眼(強調行為過程本身)。
6. The car salesman took the customer for a driver in the new model in order to _____ its improved features.
A. advocate B.demonstrate C.exhibit D. reveal
[答案] B. demonstrate
demonstrate(=show clearly by giving proof or example)(用實例，證據)證明，表演。
7. The rainbow _____ as the sun came fully out from behind the clouds.
A. dissolved B. removed C. resigned D. disappeared
[答案] D. disappeared
8. All too _____ it was time to go back to school after the glorious summer holidays.
A. often B. fast C. soon D. late
[答案] C. soon
[注釋]all too實在太......，all too soon意為太快了，帶有惋惜的意味，如：
1.Tom had snatched a short holiday from his work to come here.
2.He said it ended all too soon.（湯姆趁工作之暇匆匆來此渡一短假，他說，假期過得太快了。）
9. Deserts, dry areas with _____ no vegetation, cover more than one-third of the Earth's land surface.
A. surprisingly B. eventually
C. permanently D. virtually
[答案] D. virtually
[注釋]virtually(=almost, very nearly; in every way that is really important)幾乎，事實上，實際上；
My book is virtually finished,I have only a few changes to make in the writing.( 我的書幾乎寫完了，我只要在作品中再作一點修改就可以了。)
10. After dinner the minister made a short _____ to the guests.
A. delivery B.pronunciation C.conversation D. speech
[答案] D. speech
[注釋]make a speech to sb.(向某人做演講)。
make conversation with sb.(和某人閑談conversation常與下列動詞搭配：
get (enter) into conversation with(和.....攀談起來),
have a conversation with(與.....談話),
interrupt (break off) conversation(中斷談話),
turn the conversation to other matters(把話題轉到其他問題上)
His report was good, but his delivery was poor.( 他的報告內容很好，但他的口才太差)。