Whether you’re writing to friends, colleagues or to a potential business partner, your main goal is to get your message across, in other words, to ensure the recipient understands you.
無論你是寫信給朋友、同事還是潛在的商業伙伴,你的主要目標是傳達你的信息,換句話說,也就是確保收件人理解你的意思。

If you use improper or incorrect language and continuously make mistakes in your e-mail, not only might you fail to make yourself understood, you might also fail to make a good impression on the reader.
如果你使用不恰當或不正確的語言,不斷地在你的電子郵件中犯錯,你不僅不能使別人明白你的意思,更不會給讀者留下好的印象。

To avoid this, you can run your e-mail through a grammar and spell checker, however, this in itself won’t guarantee that you’re using the right words and expressions.
為了避免這種情況,你可以通過語法和拼寫檢查器來查閱電子郵件,然而,這本身并不能保證你一開始使用正確的單詞和語言表達。

In this article, you’ll find examples of language that are commonly used in different types of emails, and hopefully, you’ll find the most appropriate one for your message.
在本文中,你將找到不同類型電子郵件中常用的語言示例,希望你能找到最適合你的信息。

The examples are labelled ’formal’ and ’informal’- please note that most informal expressions are perfectly suitable to use in ’semi-formal’ situations, such as between business associates who have worked together for some time and have established a good relationship.
這些例子被分為“正式的”和“非正式的”——請注意,大多數非正式表達都非常適合在半正式的場合使用,例如:在一起工作了一段時間,并且已經建立良好關系的商業伙伴。

GREETINGS
問候語

Formal
正式

Dear Sir/ Madam,
親愛的先生/女士,

Dear Sir or Madam,
親愛的先生或女士,

To whom it may concern: (especially AmE)
敬啟者:(特別是美式英語)

Dear Mr/ Ms Jones,
尊敬的瓊斯先生/小姐,

Dear Dr Smith,
親愛的史密斯博士,

(note: First names are NOT used. Using Miss or Mrs to address a woman? is not appropriate, as you don’t know whether she’s married or not)
(注:千萬不要直呼姓名。用小姐或女士稱呼女人是不合適的,因為你不知道她是否結婚了。)

Informal
非正式

Hi Dennis,
嗨,丹尼斯,

Hello Claire,
你好,克萊爾,

Dear Mum,
親愛的媽媽,

(note: salutations are followed by a (,) comma, exception: ’To whom it may concern:’)
(注:招呼語后跟一個逗號(,),“敬啟者:''除外)

REASON FOR WRITING / REPLYING
寫信/回復的理由

Formal
正式

I am writing to make a reservation/ to apply for the position of…/ to confirm my booking/ to ask for further information about …
我寫信是為了預定/申請……的職位/確認我的預訂/詢問有關的進一步信息…

I am writing with regard? to the sale of …/ to the complaint you made on 29th February
我寫的是關于...的銷售情況/2月29日你提出的投訴。

Thank you for your e-mail of 29th February regarding the sale of… / concerning the conference in Brussels.
感謝您2月29日關于...銷售/關于布魯塞爾會議的電子郵件。

With reference to our telephone conversation on Friday, I would like to let you know that…
關于我們星期五的電話交談,我想讓你知道…

Semi-formal / Informal
正式/非正式

Just a quick note to invite you to…/ to tell you that…
只是一個簡短的便條邀請你/告訴你…

This is to invite you to join us for...
這是邀請你加入我們…

Thanks for your e-mail, it was wonderful/great to hear from you.
謝謝你的電子郵件,收到你的來信真是太好了。

I wanted to let you know that / tell you about / ask you if…
我想讓你知道/告訴你/問你是否…

MAKING A REQUEST / ASKING FOR INFORMATION
提出請求/詢問信息

Formal
正式

Could you please let me know if you can attend … / if you are available for a meeting on 12th December?
你能告訴我你是否能參加……/你是否有時間參加12月12日的會議?

I would appreciate it if you could please send me a brochure/ if you could please reply within two days.
如果您能寄給我一本小冊子/如果您能在兩天內答復,我將不勝感激。

Could you possibly arrange a meeting with the Logistics Manager?
你能安排一次和物流經理的會議嗎?

I would also like to know if there are any swimming pools in your area.
我還想知道你們那兒是否有游泳池。

Please let me know how much the tickets cost.
請告訴我票價多少錢。

Informal
非正式

I was wondering if you could come and see me sometime next week.
我想知道你下星期什么時候能來看我。

Would you mind coming early to help me clear up the place?
請你早點來幫我打掃這個地方好嗎?

Do you think you could call Jerry for me?
你能幫我打電話給杰瑞嗎?

Can you call me/ get back to me asap? (as soon as possible)
你能盡快打電話給我嗎?(盡快)

OFFERING HELP / GIVING INFORMATION
提供幫助/給出信息

Formal
正式

We are happy to let you know that your article has been selected for publication.
我們很高興地通知您,您的文章已被選定出版。

I am glad to inform you that we will be holding our annual conference in Brussels on 20 September 2014.
我很高興地通知您,我們將于2014年9月20日在布魯塞爾舉行我們的年會。

We regret to inform you that the show has been cancelled due to bad weather conditions.
我們遺憾地通知您,由于天氣惡劣,演出取消了。

We are willing to arrange another meeting with the CEO.
我們愿意與董事長再安排一次會晤。

We would be glad to send you another statement if necessary.
如有必要,我們將另發一份聲明。

Please do let me know if I can be of further assistance.
如果我能得到進一步的幫助,請告訴我。

Should you need any further information/assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.
如果您需要進一步的信息/幫助,請務必與我們聯系。

Informal
非正式

I’m sorry, but I can’t make it tomorrow. (= I can’t come tomorrow.)
對不起,我明天去不了。(我明天不能來。)

I’m happy to tell you that John and I are getting married next month.
我很高興地告訴你,約翰和我下個月就要結婚了。

Would you like me to come early and help you clear up the place?
你想讓我早點來幫你打掃這個地方嗎?

How about I come and help you out?
我來幫助你走出困境怎么樣?

Do you need a hand with moving the furniture?
你需要幫忙搬這些家具嗎?

COMPLAINING
投訴

Formal
正式

I am writing to express my dissatisfaction with… / to complain about…
我寫信是為了表達我對……的不滿/抱怨…

I regret to say that I was not completely satisfied with the room you provided us.
很遺憾,我對你們提供的房間不太滿意。

We regret to inform you that your payment is considerably overdue.
我們遺憾地通知你,你的付款逾期未付。

I would like to receive a full refund and compensation for the damages.
我希望得到全額退款和損失賠償。

I am interested to hear how your company can compensate us for the distress we suffered.
我很想聽聽貴公司如何賠償我們所遭受的損失。

Informal
非正式

I’m sorry to say that you’re late with the payments.
很抱歉,你付款遲交了。

I hope you won’t mind me saying that the place you’d recommended to us wasn’t as nice as we’d expected.
我希望你不會介意。我說你推薦給我們的地方沒有我們想象中的那么好。

APOLOGIZING
道歉

Formal
正式

We would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused.
對于由此造成的不便,我們深表歉意。

Please accept our apologies for the delay.
對于延誤,請接受我們的歉意。

Please let us know what we can do to compensate you for the damages caused.
請讓我們知道,我們能做什么來賠償你造成的損失。

We will make sure that this will not happen again in the? future.
我們將確保今后不會再發生這種情況。

I am afraid I will not be able to attend the conference.
恐怕我不能出席會議了。

Informal
非正式

I’m sorry for the trouble I caused.
我為我造成的麻煩感到抱歉。

I apologize for the delay.
很抱歉耽擱了您的時間。

I promise it won’t happen again
我保證不會再發生這種事了。

I’m sorry, but I can’t make it to the meeting.
對不起,我不能出席會議。

ATTACHING FILES
附加文件

Formal
正式

I am attaching my CV for your consideration.
我隨信附上我的簡歷供您參考。

I am sending you the brochure as an attachment.
我隨函附上小冊子。

Please see the statement attached.
請參閱所附聲明。

Please find attached the file you requested.
請附上您所要求的文件。

I am afraid I cannot open the file you have sent me.
恐怕我不能打開你寄給我的文件。

Could you send it again in … format?
您能用…格式再發送一次嗎?

Informal
非正式

I’m attaching/sending you the holiday photos.
我把假日照片附在里面/寄給你。

Sorry, but I can’t open it. Can you send it again in … format?
對不起,我打不開。你能用…格式再發一次嗎?

ENDING
結束語

Formal
正式

I look forward to hearing from you.
我期待著你的回信。

I look forward to hearing when you are planning to visit our town.
我期待著收到你計劃訪問我們城鎮的回信。

Informal
非正式

Hope to hear from you soon.
希望很快收到你的來信。

I’m looking forward to seeing you.
我盼望見到你。

CLOSING FORMULA
結尾詞

Formal
正式

Yours faithfully, (when you start with Dear Sir/ Madam,)
您忠實的(當你開始于親愛的先生/女士,)

Yours sincerely, (when you start with the name e.g. Dear Ms Collins)
您真誠的(當你以名字開始,例如親愛的柯林斯女士)

Sincerely Yours, (AmE)
謹上,(美式)

Sincerely, (AmE)
真誠地,(美式)

Yours Truly, (AmE)
敬上,(美式)

Informal
非正式

Love,
愛你的,

Thanks,
感謝,

Take care,
珍重,

Yours,
你的,

Best regards, (semi-formal, also BR)
祝你好運,(半正式,同樣適用于英式英語)

One more thing to keep in mind is that in formal correspondence contractions are rarely used, so remember to write ’I do not’ instead of ’I don’t’ or ’they cannot’ instead of ’they can’t’ and so on.
還有一點要記住的是,在正式信函中很少使用縮寫,所以記住寫全稱的“我不”或“他們不能”,而不是縮寫的“我不”或“他們不能”等等。